Child abuse prevention
Everyone in the community plays a role in the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Please call 1-844-CO-4-Kids to report child abuse and neglect. You dial the number, we’ll make the call.
Proven ways for parents to help kids grow and maintain strong families.
Child abuse and neglect by the numbers – Did you know that 10,853 children experienced child abuse or neglect in Colorado in 2014? Call 1-844-CO-4-KIDS if you suspect child abuse and/or neglect. Your call is confidential.
Be strong in the face of stress
Resilience is managing stress and dealing with your life even when things get difficult.
- Take care of yourself and ask for help when you need it.
- Stop stress from getting in the way of providing loving care for your child.
- Enjoy time with your child and celebrate what you like about being a parent.
Having a network of friends and family helps us feel secure, confident and empowered.
- Accept help from others and look for opportunities to help them back.
- Build your skills in reaching out to others, communicating and resolving conflict.
- Focus on relationships where you feel respected and appreciated.
There is no perfect parent, but knowing what to expect does make the job easier.
- Discover what to expect as your child grows.
- Try new skills and tips to help your child progress and thrive.
- Respond in a positive way when your child misbehaves.
Some problems are too big to solve alone. Knowing where to get help in the community can make life easier.
- Know what help is available.
- Reach out and ask for help when needed.
- Share information on resources with others.
Help children develop skills so they can manage their emotions and build healthy relationships with their peers and adults.
- Respond warmly and consistently to your child.
- Allow your child to express his/her emotions.
- Model how to be kind and interact positively with others.