Human Services Commission grants
Since 1980, a portion of county sales tax revenues has been dedicated to human services needs to eligible applicants in the Human Services Commission (HSC) grant process. Applicants include nonprofit corporations under section 501(c) (3) of the I.R.S. code – in good standing with the Colorado Secretary of State – that operate and provide human services within Garfield County. Similar government agencies are also eligible. These funds cannot be granted to for-profit corporations or to individuals.
The HSC grant process is competitive. Receipt of funds in a prior year is not a guarantee of receiving funds, or the same amount of funds, in the current year. Review the entire application and all instructions prior to beginning work on it.
Review your application completely before submitting it. The HSC complies with all applicable state and federal laws and does not discriminate in any manner.
Contact Garfield County at any point while completing your application here.
We will do our best to answer your questions.
Application (PDF) | (Word)
Year-to-date outcomes report form
Applications Available: July 9, 2021
Applications Due at County Manager’s Office (CMO): August 13, 2021, 5 p.m.
Grants Allocation Committee recommendation (no later than): September 17, 2021*
Human Services Commission recommendation (no later than): October 22, 2021*
County commissioners’ final action (no later than): November 15, 2021*
Fully executed grant agreements (recipients only) due at CMO: January 21, 2022, 5:00 p.m. Funds will be distributed as soon as practicable after receipt of fully executed grant agreements in the County Manager’s Office, generally within 30 days.
*The Grants Allocation Committee, HSC, and BOCC reserve the right to take whatever time is necessary to make their determinations.
Submitting an application:
- Applications must be received by the HSC Grants Allocation Committee prior to 5 p.m. on August 13, 2021. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Use the following address, via regular mail, FedEx, or hand-delivery:
HSC Grants Allocation Committee
County Manager’s Office
108 8th Street, Suite 101
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
- Please provide one (1) original application and six (6) additional, complete copies of your application. Please clearly identify the original.
- Submit your original application and six copies in one envelope and clearly indicate on the exterior of the envelope the entity submitting the application.
- No cover letters or tables of contents will be accepted. Cover letters and tables of contents submitted with applications will be discarded and not considered.
- No double-sided printing will be accepted.
- Applications that are bound and those that use dividers or tabs that prevent the HSC from easily photocopying or handling the applications will be rejected. Do not bind applications or use dividers or tabs.
- This application consists of these instructions, (1) the summary form, (2) the community services checklist, (3) the selection criteria questions, and (4) attachments.
- The final application submitted to the HSC must include:
- Completed and signed Summary Form
- Use of Funds Summary (250 words or less)
- Completed Services Checklist (1 page)
- Responses to Selection Criteria Questions (3 pages)
- Attachments in proper order
- The Garfield County Board of Commissioners is the sole decision-maker for grants awarded through the HSC. The Grants Allocation Committee reviews applications and makes its recommendations to the HSC, which in turn makes its recommendations to the commissioners.
- All materials or statements in whatever form (written, oral, or otherwise) issued by the HSC in conjunction with the 2022 grant cycle are limited to the cycle.
- The Grants Allocation Committee is responsible for all activities regarding the distribution of funds through the 2022 grant cycle and may solicit information from any source as needed in conducting its work.
- The Grants Allocation Committee reserves the right to issue or not to issue supplemental statements regarding these Instructions or any aspect of the grant program on an as-needed basis, and to perform any and all due diligence that may be required in the discharge of its obligations. Applicants may be required to provide additional information or to participate in pre-award interviews, as needed.