Release of Deed of Trust
A Release of Deed of Trust is a document signed and executed by the current beneficiary of a Deed of Trust. The release form is submitted to the Public Trustee’s Office in the county in which the property is located. The purpose of the release is to remove all or a portion of the lien created by the Deed of Trust. For more information visit the Colorado State Statute web site.
|First page to be recorded||$13.00|
|Each additional page||$5.00|
|Public Trustee fee||$15.00|
Make checks payable to Garfield County Public Trustee.
Processing a Release of Deed of Trust
The Public Trustee’s office must have the below items submitted in order to begin processing a release:
- When filling out the request for release, please completely fill out the form. Items that are often missed are:
- The notary acknowledgement which includes the name and title of the person who is signing the request for release.
- Section indicating where documents are to be returned after processing and recording.
- County, reception number and book and page, if applicable, of recorded Deed of Trust.
2. Recorded Deed of Trust
Original Deed of Trust or a recorded copy of the Deed of Trust.
3. Original Promissory Note
Promissory Note must be marked paid by the financial institution. If the original lender is a private party, the Note must be marked paid, signed and dated by all payees.
- Original Note must be presented with the Request for Release of Deed of Trust with Evidence of Debt.
- Individuals or LLC’s etc., must always use this form and present the original Note.
- If you do not have the original note, use the Request for Release without Evidence of Debt. This form may only be used by entities qualified by C.R.S. §38-39-102(1) (a)(I) to indemnify the Public Trustee; i.e. banking institutions, savings and loan, or mortgage companies.
4. Prepaid, self-addressed envelope with return address on it
If you have any questions, please contact us at 970-384-3451.