Collection of COVID-19 bivalent vaccine vials.

New COVID vaccine recommendations

CDC recommends COVID boosters for specific groups

April 24, 2023

All mRNA COVID vaccine is now a bivalent vaccine, meaning it contains antigens for two strains of the virus (original COVID and Omicron BA.4/BA.5). This bivalent vaccine is often referred to as the “Omicron booster.”

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated vaccine recommendations
• Adults aged 65 and older and those who are immunocompromised receive an additional bivalent dose at least 4 months after their previous bivalent dose.

• Immunocompromised people aged 6 and older who have already received a bivalent dose may receive an additional dose at least 2 months later. Additional doses may be recommended for this population by their doctor.

• People aged 6 and older who are not immunocompromised should receive one updated bivalent dose regardless of whether or not they completed their primary series.

• People aged 6 to 64 who are not immunocompromised and have already had a bivalent vaccine, do not need an additional dose at this time.

• Children under 6 years are not able to be vaccinated at this time. New recommendations for this age group are coming soon. Children under 6 will still need to receive multiple doses that will vary by age, vaccine, and which vaccines were previously received.

Where to get a COVID vaccine
Call Garfield County Public Health to make a vaccine appointment – contact the Rifle office at 970-625-5200, or the Glenwood Springs office at 970-945-6614. The state health department also provides clinics through the mobile vaccine bus.

COVID testing
• Free PCR testing is offered in Rifle and Carbondale through July 31. All testing is done outside and no testing access is available inside these locations. Testing questions should be directed to Garfield County Public Health. Call the Rifle office at 970-625-5200, ext. 8116, or the Glenwood Springs office at 970-945-6614, ext. 2030.

• Free take-home rapid antigen tests are available while supplies last at the Rifle and Glenwood Springs public health offices and Garfield County Library branch locations.

Garfield County Public Health information is provided online on the public health website.