Free COVID-19 PCR testing returns to the region
Anyone experiencing symptoms is encouraged to get tested
March 24, 2023
Beginning the week of March 27, free COVID PCR testing is back. In ongoing communications with local medical providers, Garfield County Public Health determined a need for PCR, or lab-based, COVID-19 testing.
“When the state funding for PCR test sites ended in January, so did our local sites. We have since found funding to bring PCR testing back to the community,” said Garfield County Public Health Deputy Director Sara Brainard.
Free PCR testing is available from March 27 through July 31, 2023.
• No appointment is needed
• All testing is conducted outside, no testing access is available inside any location
• Testing questions should be directed to Garfield County Public Health. Rifle 970-625-5200, ext. 8116. Glenwood Springs 970-945-6614, ext. 2030
• Please wear a mask
• A web-based system is being used to register and send test results
• Testing is free, but insurance will be billed if applicable
Location and hours
Rifle, outside, located in the parking lot facing Railroad Avenue. The southeast side of the Health and Human Services Building, 195 W. 14th St.
Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Carbondale, outside, located in the parking lot behind Town Hall. 511 Colorado Ave.
Open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Town of Carbondale cannot assist you with testing questions. Please contact Garfield County Public Health.
Free Binax Now take-home test pickup locations
In addition to PCR testing, free take-home (Binax Now) antigen tests are available at the Glenwood Springs and Rifle Public Health offices and local Garfield County library locations.
“We haven’t seen a dramatic increase in COVID-19 cases,” Brainard said. “They have remained steady, however, and in talking to medical partners we felt that bringing back PCR testing was a need for the community, and we have the funds available. This is a community service, so if you have symptoms and need a test, please visit a testing site.”
Garfield County Public Health information is provided online on the public health website.