Reduce formaldehyde exposure
To reduce your exposure to formaldehyde, follow these tips:
- Formaldehyde cannot penetrate plastic laminate and is at least partly blocked by coatings.
- Use “exterior-grade” pressed-wood products (lower-emitting because they contain phenol resins, not urea resins).
- High humidity and elevated temperatures cause formaldehyde release, so you might want to control humidity through air conditioning and dehumidifiers.
- Increase ventilation, particularly after bringing new sources of formaldehyde into the home.
- When remodeling and in new construction, select low-formaldehyde materials.