Take-out meal service available for seniors
Garfield County Senior Programs is offering take-out meal services for the senior community from Parachute to Carbondale. Staff is working hard to meet the immediate needs of our vulnerable adults during this disruption due to COVID-19. There are multiple options for seniors seeking meal assistance.
There is a $3 suggested donation for meals. Reservations are needed by noon the weekday before the meal you want, so please call the Rifle Senior Center at (970) 665-6540 to make your reservations for New Castle, Silt, Rifle and Parachute. Call 665-0041 for Glenwood Springs and Carbondale RSVPs.
All meal pick-ups occur between 12 and 12:30 p.m. with limited home delivery occurring prior to noon.
Beginning on August 12, 2020 NEW LOCATION Carbondale “Roaring Fork & Spoon” at The Orchard, The Gathering Center next to Crystal River Elementary Schoo
- Monday: New Castle at Castle Valley Senior Center, 201 Castle Valley Blvd., outside the community room. Glenwood Springs is a CONSOLIDATED LOCATION at Colorado Mountain College, 1402 Blake Avenue. Please enter at the lower parking lot and come to the side entrance.
- Tuesday: Rifle Senior Center, 50 Ute Avenue.
- Wednesday: Parachute, Valley Senior Center, 540 N. Parachute Avenue; Silt at Silt Town Center, 600 Home Avenue. Carbondale is at a NEW LOCATION at the parking lot behind the Carbondale Town Hall and Recreation Center, 567 Colorado Ave., around the back.
- Thursday: Rifle Senior Center, 50 Ute Avenue.
- Friday: Rifle Senior Center, 50 Ute Avenue and Glenwood Springs at Colorado Mountain College, 1402 Blake Avenue. Please enter at the lower parking lot and come to the side entrance.
All area City Markets are implementing senior hours, from 7 to 8 a.m., Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Prescription pick-up services are not available during this time. Walmart is offering senior hours from 6 to 7 a.m. on Tuesdays, and prescription pick-up is available. Natural Grocers in Glenwood Springs is offering a special shopping hour from 9 to 10 a.m. for seniors (60 and over) and people with underlying health issues.
High-risk seniors are encouraged to minimize public exposure when possible. Some options to help limit exposure are:
- City Market’s grocery pick up (the first three are free).
- Walmart grocery pickup (free).
- Clarks Market Parachute (no pickup or delivery)
LIFT-UP is offering drive-thru food pantries one day a week in Parachute (Thursday, 2 p.m.), and two days a week in Rifle, New Castle, Glenwood Springs and Carbondale.
The mobile food pantries are being held in:
- Parachute, LIFT-UP food pantry, 201 E. First Street, Thursdays at 2 p.m.
- Rifle, Garfield County Fairgrounds, Wednesday and Friday at 2 p.m.
- New Castle, Elk Creek Elementary School parking lot, 804 W. Main Street, Wednesday and Friday at 2 p.m.
- Glenwood Springs, Glenwood Springs High School, south parking lot, 1521 Grand Ave., Monday and Thursday at 2 p.m.
- Carbondale, Third Street Center parking lot, 520 S. 3rd Street, Monday and Thursday at 2 p.m.
LIFT-UP’s Extended Table grab-and-go bagged meals are available from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays in Rifle at the Rifle United Methodist Presbyterian Church, Lovell Building, 200 E. 4th Street.
- Monday through Friday in Glenwood Springs the First United Methodist Church, 824 Cooper Ave.
Virtual Cooking Matters tour
Sign up today for a virtual Cooking Matters at the Store tour. Learn how to get more food for your money and make healthier purchasing options while shopping. Sessions are July 21 (registration required) and July 30.
Senior Connections newsletters
The mission of Senior Programs is to enable independence, dignity, health and nutritional well-being of seniors and people with disabilities living in Garfield County.
Judy Martin, Manager
970-945-9191, ext. 3061
Debby Sutherland, Program Coordinator
970-945-9191, ext. 3084
Barbara Peterson, Senior Services Aide
970-945-9191, ext. 3005
Stephanie Nick RDN, Public Health Nutritionist
970-625-5200 ext. 2036
Please contact Veterans Services.