Garfield County is on the COVIS 2006 state system, and can provide certified copies of birth certificates for individuals born in Colorado. Garfield County provides birth certificates and death certificates for Garfield County, Rio Blanco County and Pitkin County residents.
Please note - If you are able to meet the specific criteria we have established, a birth certificate may be printed while you wait.
• Apply between 8:30 am - 4:45 pm
• Must provide all required information
• Must provide acceptable identification as required by the State of Colorado Department of Health
Certified birth certificate copies may be issued to:
• The registrant (person named on the certificate)
• Grandparents (must show lineage, birth certificates to son or daughter)
• Stepparents (proof of marriage)
• Siblings (with proof of relationship)
• Spouse (marriage certificate required)
• Adult children or grandchildren of the registrant (birth certificate for mother or father)
• Stepchildren (show how related to the child or stepparent)
• Legal guardian (papers showing that they are the legal guardian, court papers)
• Legal representatives of any of the above (attorneys, power of attorney)
• Genealogists representing family members with appropriate credentials and proof of death, release (show relationship to the person they are asking the information for)
Acceptable identification - Colorado birth and death certificate documentation
Information needed for birth certificates
Child's name, birth date, place of birth (county), parent's names and mother's
maiden name. To prevent errors on the birth certificate, the date of birth and place of birth for both parents is helpful.
Costs are $17.75 for the first copy, and $10 for each additional copy.
Payment is to be submitted with the application. We now accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover (with a 2.7% processing fee for credit card transactions). If you are out of state, we must have a money order, cashier's check, or credit card in order to process your request.
Birth certificate form
Birth certificate form in Spanish
Note: when applying for a birth certificate for a deceased person, it is required that a death certificate be provided.
For additional information, please call 970-384-3700, to contact Garfield County Clerk/Registrar Jean Alberico or Deputy Registrar Alicia Macias.