Winter maintenance The beauty of a Colorado winter comes with unforeseeable hazards. Please remember to take any extra time necessary during the winter months. It is important to drive safe, especially during storms. Together, we can keep you and your neighbors safe. winter maintenance-| plow routes-|
Highway 82 Independence Pass is now closed for the season.
Noxious weed board openings
Garfield County is seeking volunteers to serve on the Noxious Weed Advisory Board. The board meets quarterly, and the positions are appointed for three-year terms. Letters of interest must be received by Jan. 6.
Garfield County's Finance Department was honored for the eighth straight year by the Government Finance Officers Association. The certificate of achievement was received for the fiscal year that ended Dec. 31, 2015.
Garfield County Commissioner Tom Jankovsky has been appointed to the Bureau of Land Management's citizen-based Northwest Resource Advisory Council. Members advise the BLM on public land management issues in northwest Colorado.
September 21 - Andrew Archuleta has been tapped to lead the Bureau of Land management's Colorado Northwest District, and Joe Meyer will take the reins for the agency's Southwest District in October. Northwest district-| Southwest district-|
September 15 - The Lost Solar Fire has now grown to more than 4,400 acres, necessitating the temporary closure several trails near the blaze on the Flat Tops Wilderness. It was sparked on Aug. 8 by lightning.map of trail closures-|
September 9 - In the last week, the Northwest Interagency Fire Unit has responded to 34 fires. While there are no current fire restrictions in the area, fuels are dry and fire officials remind visitors to be careful with fire.press release-|
August 25 - Firefighters are planning prescribed burns in Garfield and Eagle counties. press release-|
July 28 -Stage 1 fire restrictions begin July 29 for Bureau of Land Management-administered lands in Garfield County.
BLM will enforce these temporary restrictions:
• campfires are only allowed within designated fire grates in developed campgrounds (i.e. a metal, in-ground containment structure -- fire pans and rock campfire rings are not acceptable)
• no fires of any type including charcoal outside of developed areas
• no smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or in a barren area free of vegetation
• no use of explosive materials
• no welding or operation of an acetylene or other similar torch with open flame except from an area that has been cleared of vegetation
• no operation of any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed and in working order
Garfield County -
NEW ENERGY IN THE WILD WEST: This is the official website of Garfield County government in west central Colorado. The county covers nearly two million acres, ranging from rugged alpine mountains to high mountain desert plateaus - about 60% public lands. Home to approximately 58,000 people, Garfield County boasts incredible outdoor adventures, a premier seasonal climate and has major rail, interstate and air access. Industries include energy development, tourism, ranching and farming. demographics-|